Emoticons – a picture representation of facial expressions.
In-Person – someone’s physical presence rather than communication by phone, email, etc…
1 Why is e-mail correspondence still alive even though we have a lot of messengers like WhatsApp and Telegram
2 What’s the longest it has taken you to compose an e-mail?
While on the surface an e-mail is considered an informal way of communication, it takes a great deal of time for some people to compose one as they are constantly trying to perfect even simple ideas they want to communicate.
- How much on average does it take you to write an email?
- Does grammar matter in emails?
- How would you react if you received an email that contained a lot of mistakes?
- Why has email not been replaced by popular messengers like WhatsApp or telegram?
How you write an e-mail largely depends on who you are writing to, but, in general, a friendly, neutral style will work best – neither too formal nor too familiar. Avoid unnecessary acronyms, abbreviations and slang which may confuse, date or sound silly.
1. Underline the best option in each section of the e-mail below.
(I) Hi Tim I Dear Timothy / Yo! Timbo
(2) I trust you are well. I How's it hanging? I How's it going?
(3) You did a great job on the presentation.Well done! I My congratulations on a most effective
presentation. /Way to go, man! Killer presentation!
(4) The product demo just blew us away! /The product demonstration was extremely well received. /The product demo went down really well.
(5) The only thing is, I'm not too happy with the packaging design. I But - don't hate me for saying
this - the packaging design really sucks! I The packaging design is, however, giving me some cause for concern.
(6) I strongly recommend we review the situation. I Frankly, I'd scrap it. I I suggest we have
a bit of a rethink.
(7) Catch up with you sometime next week to chew over a few alternatives. I Let's get together next week and see what we can come up with. I I propose we schedule a brainstorming meeting for next week.
(8) BTW if you've a sec, run your eye over the Singapore report, would you? I Also, if you have time,
could you have a look at the Singapore report? / If it's not too much trouble, your input on the Singapore report would also be much appreciated.
(9) And please note: I require a complete cost breakdown for this project as soon as possible. I It's very important that I have your costing for this project just as soon as you can get it to me./ Need your costing for the project too - yesterday, if not sooner!
(I 0) If you have any problems, give Sandra Taylor in accounts a call. I Any probs, give Sandra in accounts a buzz. I Should you have any problems, Sandra Taylor in accounts may be able to be of assistance.
2. Write a short e-mail in reply to the one above using the prompts below.
glad / enjoyed / presentation / also pleased / response / product demo //disappointed / hear / not keen
/ design //thought / quite stylish //let I know / free I discuss / alternatives // around / most / next week//
happy / go through / report // costing / ready / within / few days// may need/I check / few things / Sandra
// happen / have / extension number? / thanks