Jack was a young sailor. He lived in England, but he was often away with his ship.
One summer he came back from a long voyage and found new neighbours near his mother's house. They had a pretty daughter, and Jack soon loved her very much.
He said to her, ‘My next voyage will begin in a few days’ time, Gloria. I love you, and I’ll marry you when I come back. I’ll think about you all the time, and I’ll write to you and send you a present from every port.’
Jack’s first port was Freetown in Africa, and he sent Gloria a parrot from there. It spoke five languages. When Jack’s ship reached Australia, there was a letter from Gloria. It said, ‘Thank you for the parrot, Jack. It tasted much better than a chicken.’
1. Why did Jack make long voyages?
2. Where did Gloria live?
3. Why did Jack think about Gloria all the time?
4. Where did Jack send Gloria the parrot from?
5. Where did Jack get Gloria’s letter about the parrot?
6. What did Gloria do to the parro1. Why did Jack make long voyages?
1. Which words in the story mean the opposite of:
1. short 2. old 3. worse 4. last 5. little 6. ugly 7.wine
2. Write this story. Put one word in each empty place
Freetown is a . . . . in West Africa. Jack and another . . . . from his ship went into a shop there and saw a beautiful bird. It was a red and grey . . . . and it . . . . ‘Hullo,’ to them. Jack said to his friend, ‘I’m going . . . . it to Gloria. She’s the daughter of my mother’s . . . . It will be a nice . . . . for her,’ Then Jack and his friend . . . . a restaurant and ate . . . . and fried potatoes there. They . . . . very good.
- a young sailor – молодой моряк
- live in – жить в (He lived in England)
- often – часто (I often work from home) (I’m often late to work)
- come back from – вернуться из (He came back from a long voyage)
- think about – думать о / размышлять о (I’ll think about you all the time)
- all the time – все время (I’ll think about you all the time)
- send a present – отправить подарок (I’ll send you a present)
- parrot – попугай
- (to) reach – достигать / доходить / связаться (ship reached Australia)
- there is / there are – существовать / есть (there is a letter from Gloria) (there are many cafes in Moscow)
- thank you for – Спасибо тебе за (thank you for the parrot, Jack) (thank you for helping me)
- (much) better than – лучше чем (it tasted much better than a chicken) (my new car is better than my old one)